Below is a list of COVID-19 precautions ESUMC Prague is taking during its live services on Sundays in the summer of 2020.
- The sanctuary will be arranged with a greater distance between chairs than in the past.
- Single households are asked to cluster their chairs together.
- Maintain a minimum distance of two meters between different households.
- Windows and doors will be left open to increase air circulation.
- Volume levels will be audible but not as loud as in the past, to reduce disturbance to neighbors with the open windows.
- Disinfectant will be provided near the door.
- As always, we will project the words of the service to the front of the church, so there are no shared hymnals to pose a health risk.
- A camera will be set up near the front of the seating area to enable the streaming of the service. It will show the front platform of the sanctuary.
- Please use care to avoid knocking the camera and equipment.
- All individuals will wear masks/face coverings while in the building and throughout the service with the following exceptions:
- The preacher will not wear a mask during the sermon, but will stand in the pulpit area with a distance of over three meters from the nearest congregant who is not part of the preacher’s household.
- The preacher will wear a mask during the liturgy for the Lord’s Supper.
- The worship leader and music team will wear masks. They will not use the pulpit nor the microphone that will be used for preaching.
- All individuals may remove their masks shortly at the time of eating bread/drinking juice for the Lord’s Supper.
- Singing is a core part of a worship service but is also a high-risk activity. To balance these factors, and with a mind to the experience and duration of the service for those participating via streaming, the following precautions will be taken:
- A responsive reading of a psalm will be added near the start of the service, to enable group praise with the spoken word rather than the sung word
- Singing will be limited to one song before the sermon and one song after. The total number of choruses and verses will be condensed.
- The music leader will sing at normal volume/effort.
- All other congregants and music team will participate with “quiet singing” rather than full-volume singing engaging the diaphragm.
- The music team will practice instruments before the service begins but limit vocal singing to the minimum.
- We will celebrate the Lord’s Supper on the first Sunday of the month.
- We will use individual cups for the juice and plates for the bread.
- The bread and juice will be prepared before the service by an individual who has no indication of infection and using all reasonable care (hand washing, etc).
- Congregants should approach the communion table while wearing their masks and ensuring a minimum distance of two meters from other households.
- Let congregants exercise care to avoid touching the cups or plates other than the one they select.
- Congregants should move to their seats or other socially distanced area before removing their masks to eat their bread/drink their juice.
- A basket will be provided for rubbish.
- Individuals are encouraged to give online using https://esumc.cz/giving/
- To minimize contact through passing an offering basket, we will instead place an offering basket near the door of the sanctuary. Congregants can contribute on their way into or out of the service.
- Like worship, fellowship is an integral part of the life of our church family. However, we cannot gather indoors to do so, and we must maintain appropriate distance when we do so outdoors. As such, fellowship in the Kavarna is canceled during this time.
For those who still don’t feel comfortable attending worship services in person, or are unable to attend for any reason, live streaming of each service is available on our YouTube channel: